Hosting matters for SEO. In fact, great hosting is foundational to search engine optimization. Why? The search engines strive to provide user-friendly visitor experiences. Great web hosting leads to a consistent site visit that Google, Yahoo, and Bing can trust. Trust is one of the building blocks of SEO.
We’re often asked, “which hosting is best for SEO?” If your website is built in an all-in-one platform such as Squarespace, Wix, or Weebly, then hosting is included. For many websites including WordPress sites, however, the answer is managed hosting. If managed hosting is new to you, here’s a quick overview:
Managed hosting is a model where a service provider leases hardware to a single customer. The service provider also manages the servers, software, and networks necessary for the customer. If an issue arises, your managed hosting provider is there to help pinpoint the problem and rectify it. Our favorite managed host is Liquid Web!
5 Reasons Why Managed Hosting is Good for Your SEO
Managed hosting is reliable. Google appreciates reliability as it creates trust which is an important ranking factor. Managed hosting with Liquid Web, for example, includes 100% high uptime guarantees. Your website won’t go dark and Google will be able to rely on this consistency. Reliability is accomplished in hosting via high availability engineering.
Secondly, there are no pageview or traffic limits with managed hosting from Liquid Web. This ensures that no matter what the demand, your site will perform well and you won’t get an unexpected bill. Good for SEO and good for your business.
It should come as no surprise that the search engines, like website visitors, appreciate speed. Google’s goal is to deliver relevant results and a great user experience. The first measure of user-experience is page load time. It does not matter how great of a website you have if it is slow to load. Your visitors will notice. Sales and conversions will go down. And, the search engines will notice which will reduce traffic to your website. It’s a perfect storm.
With managed hosting, you get fast servers and a content delivery network. The average speed improvement when a WooCommerce store comes over to Liquid Web’s managed WooCommerce hosting is 100%. That means you cut your page load speed in half! Considering that a 1-second delay in page load times can result in a 7% reduction in conversions, speed improvements alone dramatically impact your sales. Get another point of view about site speed and managed hosting from Patrick Rauland.
Overwhelmed by SEO? Try a
Google, Yahoo, and Bing value security. Managed hosting places a lot of emphasis on security as well making it well aligned with the search engines. There are several elements of security which are covered by managed hosting:
- SSL Certificate: Managed hosting often includes an SSL certificate for every website without any additional cost to you. Google starting giving a ranking boost to websites with SSL certificates back in 2014. SSL certificates are often free from web hosts and via Let’s Encrypt, and yet only 49% of websites are using the default protocol https today. Managed hosting ensures your site is in the other 51% doing it right.
- Secure Infrastructure: Hosting websites in datacenters that are owned ensures that host like Liquid Web can manage and protect everything without a third party. For you and Google, that means secure infrastructure.
- Automatic Daily Backups: Build piece of mind with automatic daily backups. Restoring or downloading an older version of your website is just a click away.
Great hosting - managed hosting that is - comes with excellent support. No matter how great a host is with security, speed, and reliability, it is still helpful to be able to speak to a human. One of the many reasons we partner with Liquid Web is for the around the clock support (that’s 24/7/365) by phone, email, and chat.
5. Your Time
With reliable, speedy, secure hosting backed by excellent customer service, you can focus your efforts elsewhere. Perhaps the biggest value of managed hosting for SEO is in saving you time. Take that time and invest it in high-value SEO tactics such as writing content, encouraging customers to leave reviews of your business, and continually improving the user experience of your website.
Does hosting matter for SEO?
Yes, hosting matters for SEO. You now have a good understanding of why managed hosting is a great solution when visitors from Google, Yahoo, and Bing matter for your business.
Lindsay Halsey is a co-founder of Pathfinder SEO. She has over 10 years of experience working in SEO with small to large businesses. Lindsay focuses on teaching business owners and freelancers how to get found in Google, Yahoo, and Bing via a guided approach to SEO. Stay in touch on Twitter - @linds_halsey.